Updated Apr. 22, 2009
16th Annual NE Women’s XC Day
Bethel Inn Resort, Bethel ME
January 22nd, 2017
Enjoy a fun day on snow at the Bethel Inn Resort in Bethel, Maine. Experience cross-country ski clinics for every level of skier-from first-timers to seasoned masters! In addition to top-notch instruction, there will be wax demonstrations, a fantastic prize drawing and a fabulous lunch. Clothing and equipment retailers will be on hand with items to try and buy.
Don’t have your own skis? No problem! The Bethel Inn Nordic Centerare very knowledgeable and would love to outfit you. Rentals will be offered at a discounted price.
There will be clinics in both skate and classic during the day, although you only sign up for the clinics & technique that you want. Rent one set of equipment or both! There will also be Equipment Dealers on hand to help you demo some of their equipment.
The Bethel Inn & Resort
Schedule of Events
- 4:00-6:00 p.m. Join us for a Saturday Night Social at The Bethel Inn Resort. Connect with other women who are attending this event, meet up with friends, and start the evening off with some tasty snacks!
- 7:00-7:45 Yoga at the Bethel Inn Resort (Space is limited so please email email@example.com to reserve your spot). We’ll emphasize postures that will support a full range of motion for a delightful day on the ski trails! Beginners and more experienced students are all welcome. Please bring your own mat.
- 8:45-9:45 Registration and Clinic Sign Up
- 10-4 NENSA Expo: Equipment suppliers, wax technicians, outfitters and clothiers from the ski industry will be on hand with goods to try and buy.
- 10-11:40 Clinics: Skating and Classic technique clinics for first timers, beginners and intermediate level skiers. Sign up at registration time for the clinic you want to participate in!
- 11:45-1:15 Lunch, raffle drawing and short presentation.
- 1:30-2:45 Clinics: Repeat of Clinics, sign up for the same one or for something different!
- 2:40-3:30 Fun wrap-up event, drawing of grand raffle prize and light refreshments.
Grand Raffle Prize:
Raffle Prizes Donated by These Fine Businesses: THANK YOU!
LLBean, Swix, SKIDA, Toko,
Please take a minute and read through the clinic descriptions. You will select your clinic on Sunday morning at Registration but it’s helpful to have thought about this beforehand! There is also a tour option. The color is to help identify your group on Sunday.
Beginner Classic (RED) -This is for the person who has never cross-country skied, skis only a couple of times per year or has been skiing for years but has never had a lesson. You will learn the fundamentals of classic skiing: correct body position, use of poles, striding and balancing on one ski, double poling, how to get down a hill safely, downhill turns, and a downhill stop.
Intermediate Classic (PINK) - This is for the person who skis at least 1 or 2 times per week, can ski comfortably 5-10k, and feels OK going downhill. You will learn balancing drills so you will be able to glide longer with every stride, how to increase your tempo, and more powerful use of your arms and legs.
Uphill/Downhill Classic (GREEN)- This is for the person who skis several times per year (not for the person who has never skied) and wants to improve their technique to go uphill and downhill. For uphill, you will learn how to shorten your stride, increase your tempo, and use your arms more effectively. For downhill you will learn how to go maneuver around obstacles, advancing from snowplow turns to step turns.
Beginner Skate (ORANGE)- This is for the person who has never skated (but has classic skied) or has tried skating a few times but works hard and goes nowhere. You will learn the basics of skating: correct body position, skating off, then balancing on your gliding ski, correct use of your arms and timing (when to push and when to glide).
Intermediate Skate (BLUE)-This is for the person who knows how to skate but wants to improve their technique. You will learn how to V1, V2 and V2 alternate (the 3 techniques used in skating). You will also learn when to use each technique. You will learn the importance of balancing on 1 ski and gliding as long as possible before you skate off onto the other ski and more powerful use of arms and legs.
Uphill/Downhill Skate (PURPLE) - This is for the person who knows how to skate and wants to become more efficient going uphill and downhill. You will learn a more effective V1 for going uphill. You will learn how to use V2 on a gradual uphill. For downhill you will learn how to go around poles, advancing from snowplow half turns to step turns.
We love having groups come to Women's Day! Get your friends together and come and celebrate the day! At lunch we’ll be looking for the largest group. Bring lots of girlfriends!
Have additional questions? Contact Amber Dodge (firstname.lastname@example.org or 413-822-2422).