Updated Apr. 4, 2008
NENSA Elite & Development Teams
The NENSA Elite Team exists as a program to support and facilitate the appropriate development of top athletes toward the goal of international excellence. In addition to recognition for accomplishments, this program seeks to provide incentives for athletes to seek high levels of competition, and to encourage athletes to think in terms of long-range development. In order to gain access to the Elite Team an athlete must achieve a certain level of success at national level competition.
Qualifying criteria to be considered for the Team:
A pool of athletes will be identified based on results in national level competition, comprising individuals who meet the following criteria. From this pool of athletes the team will be named, as outlined below under "Team Selection". Note: additional athletes may be added by ADC nomination.
- Eastern athletes in the top 15 OVERALL on the final USSA ranking list
- Top 3 in age group (U18/U20/U23/Senior) on the final USSA ranking list
- World Jr/U23 Jr/ U18 scando trip qualifiers (must compete to be eligible)
- 1st through 5th on Final combined EISA ranking list
- Biathletes- up to top three men and top three women from the USBA final ranking list
- In addition, a skier with Elite Team status from the previous year may be eligible for discretionary addition to the Elite or Development teams.
- Out of region/ Foreign Athletes will not be named to the NENSA Elite or Development Teams, and they do displace US skiers.
The Elite Team will be named in the spring of each year, up to six junior boys and six junior girls, five U23 men and five U23 women, and five senior men and five senior women.
NENSA Elite Team Requirements:
- Must be active NENSA members to receive benefits,
- To accept spot on team selected juniors must agree to attend a Elite Group Summer Camp - Eastern REG, or NTG, or NEG camps.
- Must agree to represent New England at national competitions, in addition to their home club. (Junior Nationals, Sr. Nationals, etc.). This means having an Eastern Desgination on your USSA license
- Must plan to continue to meet training goals.
- Athletes on this list are eligible to receive free entry to NENSA Eastern Cup Series events
- Funding eligibility for qualified athletes for Euro trips - OPA’s, U18 Scando, Wld Jr-U23.
Link to 2010-2011 NENSA Elite Team
Link to 2009-2010 NENSA Elite Team
Link to 2008-2009 NENSA Elite Team
NENSA Development Team
NENSA recognizes your efforts and achievements and is continuing to build Development Team member benefits.
The Development Team is named based upon regional results. The Development Team is nominated once a year in the spring.
- The top 5 ranking skiers on the season-ending NENSA Points list (NOT the JN Selection List) and excluding those that are named to the Elite Team, in the J1, OJ, U23 and SR age-groups who are also ranked in the top half of all competitors overall qualify for the Development Team.
- All U16s who make the New England JN Team are also named.
- Any College athlete who places in the 6th through 15th spots on the EISA Combined Ranking List will be nominated for the Team.
- In addition, up to a total of 10 males and 10 females may be named at the discretion of the Athlete Development Committee.
NENSA Development Team Requirements:
In order to accept a position on the Development Team an athlete must agree to
- Represent New England in any national level competition, in addition to their home club and must show Eastern Designation on their USSA license.
- Must belong to a NENSA club.
- Must be an active NENSA member
NENSA Development Team Support:
- All U18, U20, and U23 athletes named have the potential to be invited to the summer NENSA Elite Team camps.
- Through a collaborative effort, NENSA and desginated regional clubs will host Devo Team Training days and opportunities through summer and fall. Watch for specific announcements.
- The NENSA Devo Team headband - that you can wear proudly knowing you are a part of a select group of skiiers here in New England.
NENSA's High Performance Director Amie Smith and NENSA’s Athletic Development Committee (ADC) oversee this program.
Link to 2010-2011 NENSA Development Team
National USSA Pipeline Link to Info