CSU– Assistant Coach to CSU Juniors
CSU Juniors Nordic Ski Team is a youth athletic organization that serves high school aged athletes who have a passion for cross-country ski racing and can commit to year-round training. Located in the Boston metropolitan area in eastern Massachusetts, the team has roughly 40 skiers of a range of athletic abilities. Some are vying to make their high school varsity teams and some can win medals on national podiums. CSU Jr skiers have gone on to ski for USCSA Division III schools, NCAA Division I schools, the US Ski Team, and a lifetime of recreational skiing. This program is a fundamental stepping stone for those later successes.
CSU offers year-round, structured training: six days a week of coached practices, several week-long training camps during school vacations, and several long-weekend training camps. Up to this point, the club has been 100% volunteer-driven, including the coaching. The athletes attend public or private school in the area and race for their school teams where applicable. During the winter, the CSU Junior team attends the four weekends of Eastern Cup races, Senior Nationals, any regional Supertours, the Massachusetts State Qualifier race, and national or regional championship races as applicable (Junior Nationals, U16 Championships, and Eastern High School Championships).
CSU Juniors is the youth skiing division of a larger non-profit sports organization, Cambridge Sports Union, which is incorporated in Cambridge, MA. The CSU Juniors Advisory Board sets policies and oversees the general direction of this skiing section of the club.
Position: Assistant Coach to CSU Juniors
Employer: Cambridge Sports Union
Reports to: Alex Jospe, head coach CSU Juniors
Employee period: May 2019 – Mid-March 2020, weeknights, weekends, and several week-long
Benefits: Continuing education and US Ski and Snowboard Licensing
Access to the vast professional network of CSU parents and alumni
Season’s ski pass to Leo J. Martin Ski Track
Travel and expenses for all coach-related duties
CSU Juniors is hiring an assistant coach, to work under head coach. The assistant coach will also work with qualified volunteer and parent coaches. Because of the large size of this team, the coach will rarely be working alone.
This is a part-time position, salary depends on experience. All travel expenses for coaching-related duties are covered.
Job duties include:
- – Presence at weekly practices
- – Coaching 4-6 weekly practices, generally from 5-7pm during the week
- – Working enthusiastically with beginner skiers as well as the fastest skiers
- – Facilitating practice scheduling with head coach and volunteer coaches
- – Moderate amount of traveling on non-race weekends
- – Training planning
- – Oversee at least five athletes’ training logs
- – Work with head coach to refine and adjust training plans
- – Attendance at all three week-long CSU training camps:
- – CSU Summer Camp, Winchendon MA (July 7-13)
- – Mont Sainte Anne Training Week, Beaupre, Quebec (December 25-31)
- – Bretton Woods February Vacation week, Bretton Woods NH (February 15-21)
- – Race support, working with CSU head coach and qualified volunteer coaches
- – Senior Nationals (first week of January, Houghton MI)
- – U16 Championships (3 days, Chittendon VT)
- – Eastern High School Championships (3 days, Gore NY)
- – Apply to coach with New England on the Junior National team
- – Continuing Education:
- – NENSA L100 training
- – Other conferences as applicable
- – NENSA L100 license (to be acquired within 9 months of start date)
- – Includes First Aid training and Safesport certification
- – NENSA L200 license (to be acquired within 12 months of start date)
- – Previous and recent high-level race experience
- – Strong rapport with high school-aged athletes
- – Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- – Effective written and spoken communication
- – Completion of a background screening
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to Alex Jospe: [email protected] by April 28th, 2019. Starting date can be flexible, early May is preferred.